Jason accomplished one of his goals this week/weekend by getting to call (ref) state championship basketball games. And, I must admit, my heart swelled just a little (okay, a lot) with the amount of pride I had for him while he called those three games and the fact that even as you get older goals are still reached.
Jason was/is so excited that he received the opportunity to call such a big event, even though he won't let you know that he was/is. I prayed all week that he would carry himself well at these games and do a good job. And God answered that prayer even better than expected. Jason did outstanding and I am so proud of him!
Let's get real for a moment, shall we? I know nothing about basketball...really nothing. I am not athletic (seriously, look at me), nor do I pretend to be athletic (Jason makes fun of me); however, since basketball is a staple of Jason's life and the life of our small town, I have started to pay attention to the actual game. With that...I am starting to understand the game and a few bad calls here and there. So, really, if you want to get technical I am not the one to be saying Jason did amazing; however, I am his wife, so I have the right to say he did an AMAZING job! Granted, I would have said the same thing if he would have tripped running or something (granted, I would have made fun of him). It helps though when others say he did a great job, too (especially the ones that know the game).
I know for him the moment really hit when he called in "The Big House." Growing up, I always called this "Big House" the State Fair Arena...but, to Jason and so many other basketball enthusiasts it is the mecca of basketball (even if it does smell of cow). And for Jason to be able to call at this powerhouse is just so overwhelming and a moment I hope he cherishes forever.
He had one tough game with some really mouthy fans and an extremely close game that went into double overtime. One team went on and the other team went home. While Jason is no longer liked by the losing team and their fan base, he can hold his head high knowing he called the right call when he did. As our dear friends put it "that took some major guts to call that last call, but it was the right one."
Even though Callen is too young to remember this momentous event in his Daddy's life, I hope I am able to retell this story to him when he is older. More importantly, I hope it shows our young son that you are never too old to reach for the stars and you are never to old to actually catch those stars.
I am so very proud of Jason and while I hope he remembers this moment, I also hope he learned from this moment and will grow from this wonderful experience. I love him more and more every day, and seeing him accomplish something so big in his life is something that I hope I will forever remember.
Below is a Daily Oklahoman article on Jason.
Jason's at "The Big House"
No comments:
Post a Comment